iVilnius.lt

December 15 13°C

Vilnius - Lithuania heart

Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania. This town is known as the largest and the finest town in the country. MORE

Place of interest

Vilnius is really important historical, cultural and academic hub of Eastern Europe. MORE

Churchs
Home > Explore > Places of interest

St. Anne‘s Church

Rating (0)
Back to list
Phone No.: +370 698 17731
Email: -
Web Page: -
Opening Hours: May-September: I-VII 11.00-19.00, October-April: I-VII 17.00-19.00
Rating:
0 from 5
Entrance:
Free
St Anne‘s church is located in the old town, near Vilnelė river. The church is regarded to be one of the most famous buildings in Vilnius. St. Anne‘s church remains nearly unchanged during half of a millennium and reaches our day to become one of main symbols of Vilnius. This church is an unmatched masterpiece example of flamboyant gothic. It was built in 1495-1500 by the Bernardine church.

Architect of this St. Anne‘s church remains unknown, however historians have several versions. One part of scientists claim that the church was designed by Benedikt Rejt, the other part refers to Michael Enkinger as the architect. The history of this church is being studied by art critics all around the globe, even despite the fact that neither the architect nor the backer or the exact time of construction is known.

First time the church was noticed in pope’s Alexander VI report in 1501.

In 1560 and 1564 St Ann’s church was lit on fire, therefore it was reconstructed in 1581. After 30 years, in 1610 one more fire broke out. After a couple of years a sacristy was built in. During war in 1655, the church was devastated and had to be reconstructed again. In 1747 St. Anne‘s church was rebuilt under the guidance of a well-known architect Johann Cristoph Glaubitz. Unfortunately, in the end of 18th century the church was damaged again. During strafe of the city of Vilnius the church was scorched, it walls became cracked. This time St. Anne‘s church was reconstructed by Michael Angel Schultz. Architect also designed and built a belfry.

There is a legend, that when Napoleon passed Vilnius in 1812, he liked St Anne’s church so much, that he said he could take it on his palm and bring back home to France. Nevertheless, reality is slightly different. During this year the church was turned into a military warehouse, wooden inventory was burned and altars heavily damaged, renovated only in 1824. The original belfry was demolished due to a new street in 1870, after two years a new neo-gothic belfry was built by a design of Nikolai Chagin.

In the end of 19th century, fundaments sunk, walls nodded and cracked. The church was heavily reconstructed in 1902 – 1909, the facade was fortified in 1960 – 1970.

St Ann’s church has one nave, the shape of it makes a very light and graceful impression. Main façade of St Anne’s church is very valuable – unique in brick gothic architecture. The façade is distinguished for its rhythmic composition of vertical and curved lines. There is completely no flat space on brick wall above the portal. There were bricks of 33 different profiles used to decorate this wall. Whole façade is of a gothic basilica structure, with harmonic proportions. Side facades and the presbytery are exceptionally complex as well – with eminently graceful sharp-arched windows, buttresses and openwork turrets.

Interior of St. Anne’s church is no match for an exceptional exterior design. Altars inside are designed in baroque style, arcs built in the beginning of 20th century.

Ensemble of St Anne’s and Bernardine churches is a real late-gothic island in a baroque capital of Lithuania. By a colour alone this architecture group can be distinguished from the rest of the city. Deep, red coloured bricks make a strong contrast against white, rosy and bluish buildings. It is a must to see this ensemble when visiting Vilnius.

Photos

St. Anne Church St. Anne Church towers St. Anne Church interior

Video

Related places