Vilnius is connected with highway and road network to other Lithuanian towns. Upon arrival to Vilnius by car, you can easily and quickly reach any part of the city of Vilnius and the most famous places of interest. The city is equipped with a traffic management system which helps regulate the flow of traffic in the city. However, this system hardly helps during the peak congestion hours.
Vilnius by car can be reached via motorways, trunk-roads and regional roads. The main roads that lead to Vilnius are:
- A1 (E85): motorway Vilnius – Kaunas – Klaipėda;
- A2 (E272): motorway Vilnius – Panevėžys;
- A3 (E28): trunk-road Vilnius – Medininkai – Minskas;
- A4: trunk-road Vilnius – Druskininkai – Gardinas;
- A14: trunk-road Vilnius – Utena;
- A15: trunk-road Vilnius – Šalčininkai – Lyda
- A16: trunk-road Vilnius – Prienai – Marijampolė.
Traffic Management System
Vilnius one of the first cities in Eastern Europe, which has installed an advanced and intelligent traffic management system. This system allows the city to reduce congestion, reduce accidents, ensure the safety of road users, improve the ecological situation, prevent vehicles from exceeding the safe speed. This system led to the creation of six so-called green transport corridors. Currently these corridors are:
- Vilnius Airport – Žaliasis bridge;
- Žaliasis bridge – Kalvarijų str. – Kareivių str.;
- Žaliasis bridge – Arsenalo str. – Antakalnio str. – Nemenčinės rd.;
- J. Basanavičiaus str. – Savanorių ave.;
- Vasario 16-osios str. – Tauro str. – Šopeno str. – Pylimo str. – Jakšto str.;
- T. Narbuto str. – Kęstučio str. – Vytauto str.
Important information for drivers
Speed limits. Please be aware that are the following speed limits in Lithuania: 50 km/h within towns, two-lane truk-road (highway) 90 km/h, on motorways 130 km/h (110 km/h from 1st of November till 1st of April).
Seat belts. Driver and all passengers must fasten seat belts when traveling by car. Travelling on the front passenger seat for children younger than 12 year-old is only allowed in special seats that are suitable for their height and weight. In addition to this, children under 3 year-old age must be transported in the rear specially tailored car seat.
Car lights. When driving a car or other vehicle, you must always turn on low beam. Driving is allowed if your alcohol concentration in the blood is up to 0.4 promiles.
Informational notifications for drivers
- Informational system for drivers in Vilniaus city, which informs about traffic jams, accidents or road works in the city. www.eismoinfo.lt
- Weather condition stations on Lithuanian roads.